Thursday 19 June 2014

This Week In Music: 19/06/14

Summer music releases in full swing right about now


  • Ed Sheeran
    I'll just put his name there because he's been all over the place. First, he announced that he'd be releasing a new song from his upcoming album, X, each day leading to the release (next Tuesday). So far we have Afire Love, Bloodstream, Thinking Out Loud, and The Man. He also played a show in LA during which he was joined by Demi Lovato to sing Give Me Love. It's all brilliant.
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer - Don't Stop EP
    Yeah, it wasn't released here but it was released. Every single song is a favourite - even the Try Hard remake that has been getting mixed reviews. If you live in North America, another song from their self-titled debut has been unlocked. It's called Kiss Me Kiss Me and it was written with Alex Gaskarth from All Time Low, and you don't need me to tell you I love it. I will also mention here that they worked with Kerrang magazine for a Green Day tribute album for which they covered American Idiot. I haven't listened to the rest of the covers so we'll stick with this one song for now, I can't get over it.
  • The Downtown Fiction - Losers & Kings
    Gets you in that Warped Tour mood for sure. Also makes me think of my early high school years.
    Must hear: Someplace On Earth, Santa Cruz, Cool Kids
  • Sam Smith - Make It To Me
    I've already spoke about the entire album that this song is on, but it's free this week on iTunes.
  • The Maine - Forever Halloween (Deluxe Edition)
    Similar to 5 Seconds Of Summer in the way that we almost always have a little something new from this band. Personal favourites of the 5 new songs are probably Vanilla and So Criminal.
  • Lewis Watson - The Morning
    This was released in the UK as of Tuesday and since I can't find a stream I'll say that for now you can preorder and get Halo and Stay instantly. 
  • USS - Advanced Basics
    I mentioned this band briefly after I saw them open for Hedley a few months back, but I bought my dad their CD for Father's day this past weekend and we've been playing it a bunch ever since.
    Must hear: This Is The Best (my favourite), Yin Yang (dad's favourite)