Thursday 12 June 2014

This Week In Music: 12/06/14

Another week of pretty mellow music we have here. I think it's time I head up North and sit around by the bay listening to these next few tunes.


  • Sam Smith - In The Lonely Hour
    For some reason I lump him with the likes of Emeli Sande. Maybe because they're both British R&B/Soul singers that I like. Anyways...
    Must hear: Like I Can, Stay With Me, Restart
  • First Aid Kit - Stay Gold
    Haunting and melencholy countryish songs - for fans of The Civil Wars, I think.Their song My Silver Lining is also the free single this week!
    Must hear: Waitress Song, Shattered & Hollow, Stay Gold
  • John Newman - Tribute
    Not-so-new-but-I'm-finally-listening-to-it-and-I-enjoy-it album of the week. He and Sam Smith were (maybe) on an Artists To Watch list for 2014 and they're living up to expectation.
    Must hear: Losing Sleep, Easy, All I Need Is You
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer - American Idiot [Green Day cover]
    Are they punk rock yet? (This is featured on Kerrang's Green day tribute CD)
  • Passenger - Whispers
    Eveything I needed and a little bit more. Out of this world storytelling combined with sometimes ironic upbeat melodies - the signature sound, yeah?
    Must hear: Rolling Stone, 27, Scare Away The Dark
  • Watsky - Whoa Whoa Whoa
    New Album, All You Can Do is out 8/12. Bo Burnham is in the video. I don't even have words.
I'm trying a new thing where I colour code each bullet by genre or "if you like _____ you'll like _____" so we'll see how this goes.