Tuesday 10 June 2014

Passenger - Whispers | Album Review

I just have a couple of things to gush about, let me do my thing!


  1. Coins In A Fountain
    A lovely song about hope to start off the album, and the journey. A story always starts hopeful.
  2. 27
    A personal favourite since I first started listening to him, I'm so pleased that it got a studio version. A song about life through numbers, growing up, and regrets.
  3. Heart's On Fire
    Another one that I've loved and holds some memories, a sweet little love song.
  4. Bullets
    A unique storytelling song that may not be relevant to me or you but I love it all the same, there's harmonica used.
  5. Golden Leaves
    Interesting choice of instruments make this one sound foreign, mysterious, and sad. A brilliant middle point of the story, a low point.
  6. Thunder
    A change of pace, life keeps rolling. A ton of cute little metaphors and sayings used in this one.
  7. Rolling Stone
    About travelling, love, self-doubt, and coming home. Not the band.
  8. Start A Fire
    Small tidbits of other songs appear in this one, like we're tying it all together.
  9. Whispers
    The title track and possibly the first song officially released. Deals with ageing, questioning everything, and coming to terms with reality.
  10. Riding To New York
    Another interesting story song with notes of falling apart, and last chances. I love when Mike writes about other people's stories that he's heard on his travels.
  11. Scare Away The Dark
    The single, a few nods to songs and lyrics from the previous album and an end of renewed hope and coming together.
Overall unsurprisingly happy with the entire album, and looking forward to the acoustic extras on the deluxe edition. I also like the cover, how it looks like a classic children's storybook. It fits the album well.
Because I like looking for patterns and themes, I'll share what I found which was love (obviously), fear, hope as well as regret, growing up, fire/smoke and the general outdoors like the sea, modern chaos, and travelling. These are weaved through each song to make them fit together properly and make it a great album to listen to in full and truly understand.