Wednesday 7 May 2014

This Week In Music: 08/05/14

From here on out, we're doing this on Thursdays. Consistency is a thing.


  • Lily Allen - Sheezus
    I think I've been speaking about this for ages, but it's finally out in full. It has pieces of her usual sarcasm and charm, as well as her softer side. While I don't love every track, the ones I do like, I like a lot.
    Must hear: Hard Out Here, Air Balloon, URL Badman
  • Hunter Hayes - Storyline
    Read the review here, and to sum it up: brilliant. A graceful step up from his debut album, but still true to his roots. Lovely.
    Must hear: Tattoo, Invisible, Wild Card
  • 5 Seconds Of Summer - Don't Stop
    Of course it's not "released" yet, but once you put up a lyric video everyone has heard it so I'll include it now. I freaking love it. I love this band. I love the lyric video. I love Ashton's echo in the last chorus. If you live outside North America, the Don't Stop EP is up for preorder.
  • Echosmith -Talking Dreams
    Let me start by saying I know this isn't new - and I'm so late to the party, but I arrived at last. The vocals are similar to Hayley Williams, but the sound is something else. I feel like I'm sitting in the shade drinking lemonade in early June when I listen to them. I'm ace at describing music.
    Must hear: Cool Kids, Nothing's Wrong, March Into The Sun
  • George Ezra - Did You Hear The Rain?
    This guy has such an interesting voice, even if you don't like it I think you should just listen for a sec. It's quite deep, and to be 100% honest the first time around I wasn't sure he was singing in English (he was).  Budapest is my favourite on this EP, the guitar tune is one of those that you find yourself singing absent-mindedly. 
  • The Mowgli's - Waiting For The Dawn
    Another band I'd heard select songs from but never fully dove into their discography. well now I have, and I'm enjoying every minute of it. Perfect discovery for the sunnier months when I expect to spend a lot of time outdoors.
    Must hear: San Francisco, Time, Just Say It Just Say It
  • Kina Grannis - The Fire
    iTunes single of the week, here we are. Imagine Lorde's simple tracks with a slightly higher voice. This is that. Maybe a tad bit more electric guitar.