Tuesday 6 May 2014

Hunter Hayes - Storyline | Album Review

I feel like I've been hyping this album up for so long, it's nice to finally put all my thoughts in one place! Since the album just came out today, I thought I'd share my initial thoughts for each song instead  - first impressions mean everything, right?


  1. Wild Card
    This has been out for a while so all I'll say is that my dad appreciates this one as much as I do.
  2. Storyline
    Another track that's been out for a bit, definitely worthy of being the title track. Although he does use some double negatives, we can look past it. 
  3. Still Fallin
    A slower one, definitely references the "story" theme of the album. A very "committed couple" type of song, good for a wedding or big anniversary.
  4. Tattoo
    A catchy melody/riff and adorable idea. A song about being young and impulsive, while also thinking of a relationship as something permanent. 
  5. Invisible
    In which Hunter acts as an older brother, sheltering his younger fans - promising it does get better. This buildup is awesome.
  6. Interlude
    (instrumental) - I can't tell for sure but it sounds like it might be a mix of a few previous songs. It's a unique thing to include on an album, and I like it. Especially with the story theme, as if it's a play with an intermission, ya know?
  7. You Think You Know Somebody
    A nice one about calling people out on their broken promises and empty words.  I love it.
  8. Flashlight
    It comes across very religion-based but I can still dig it. That whole 'light at the end of the tunnel' type.
  9. When Did You Stop Loving Me
    Is that an accordian I hear? Sounds a bit John Mayer-esque. 
  10. ...Like I Was Saying (Jam)
    This one flows so smoothly I didn't even realize the song had changed. That's the kind of stuff that catches my attention.
  11. Secret Love
    This one is intense, following a Romeo & Juliet theme. Sounds like something that could have been on Midnight Memories.
  12. Nothing Like Staring Over
    You just roll into this one, and it follows the album theme once again. I'd have picked it as a beginning/finale to the album just to go along with the timeline of a love story, but that doesn't really matter.
  13. If It's Just Me
    Those one-sided relationships where - dare I say it - the couple are not on the same page. That'll be the only story pun I do.
  14. Love Too Much
    A nice one about not putting a limit on your feelings, not holding back. Interesting.
iTunes claims this album is filled with "guitar-driven sing-alongs" and I don't disagree. If you're a huge country fan or simply someone who dabbles in that genre through artists that border on singer/songwriter, pop, or indie, then you should give this a listen.